Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Bit of Flavor Easy Chicken Parmesan over Noodles




On the menu for tonight -
Easy Chicken Parmesan over Noodles, with a side salad

Ingredients:
4-6 split boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large eggs
1 cup Panko
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, times 2
** Seasonings **
1 can Hunts spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb box of spaghetti (or a gluten-free option)
Cooking Oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
Salt & Pepper



1) Here's the first most *Easy* part of this recipe -
Open the package of chicken breasts, and season them with salt and pepper.  I like the grinder kind of sea salt and black pepper that can be found at the grocery store.  I'm *Easy* like that.  ;)
Why this step is so *Easy* -
Most Chicken Parmesan recipes call for placing the breasts between wax paper and pounding on them to flatten them.  I don't like to do this; I like my chicken breasts to be thick, and I think mine come out tasting just great regardless.


 
2) Break 2 eggs into a shallow bowl, and beat them slightly with a fork or a wire whisk.  You can beat them more than slightly if you feel the need.
I like my Yin Yang eggs, seen here prior to being beaten.

 
3) In another shallow bowl, mix the Panko, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, and your preferred seasonings.  I used a decent amount of freshly ground Italian Seasoning Mix and our family favorite seasoning, called Butt Rub and introduced to me by my dear friend Marion on a visit to St. Augustine, which goes on 85% of what I make.

 
4) Take one chicken breast and dip it in the egg, then lift it out to allow most of the liquid to run off.  Next, dredge the breast in the Panko mix, being sure to cover all sides with the mixture.  Set on a clean plate.  Repeat for each breast.
Let the breasts sit for about 15 minutes.

 
5) Heat about 1/2 cup of oil in a heavy skillet over medium high.  Once ready, add the breasts 2-3 at a time, and cook about 2-3 minutes per side.  The idea here is to give a little crispiness to the outer coating.

 
6) Place the crisped breasts in a 13x9 or similar pan.
(Yes, mine aren't too pretty at this point, but trust me - it's all good!)

7) Here's the second most *Easy* part of this recipe -
Pour one can of spaghetti sauce over the breasts, letting it run in between and along the edges of the pan.  Be sure each breast is nicely covered with sauce.
Yes, you could make your own sauce, or doctor something up, but then I probably wouldn't call your version "Easy"!

 
8) Cover each breast with a decent (or huge, as you can see I went with) amount of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
Spread the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese over each breast as well.
Add more of your selected seasonings if you would like.

 
Yes, on closer inspection, that looks like the Just Right amount of cheese and seasoning!

9) Pop the pan into a 450 degree oven, and cook for 25-35 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts.

 
10) Prepare a salad, whatever that might mean at your house.
I used a lettuce mix that I had previously rinsed and torn, and just poured it into a large bowl.  I cut up a few veggies that we enjoy and added them to the salad, and set out a few toppings on the side.

 
11) In the meantime, set a stock pot of water on a large boil and set to high.
Once the water comes to a boil, add one box of spaghetti noodles (or your choice of a gluten-free option). 
Cook to al dente as directed on the box.
Drain and keep close by.

 
12) When the chicken is done, remove the pan from the oven and assemble the dinner plates by putting some noodles on the plate and topping with one chicken breast.  Spoon some of the sauce liquid over the chicken and noodles.
Serve with your salad.  Bread would be nice, too.

Are you ready for our verdict??

It was DELICIOUS!!  It came out looking a little dark on top, I'm sure due to the high heat, but once I spooned a little extra sauce over you couldn't even tell, and it tasted just right.  I will be craving this one...

My official taste testers weighed in with thumbs up from both guys.

And the final *Easy* part?  THEY cleaned up for me!!

If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear about your experience!  Will you change anything?  Add or remove any ingredients?  Share it with us, and send pictures, too.

Remember ~ Life is better with a bit of flavor!


6 comments:

  1. Hey Linda, maybe you should put it in without the cheese and then add the cheese at the last 15 minutes so it doesn't brown up to much.I have found that to be helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip, Christy - thanks!!

    I do usually wait until the last 15 minutes to add the parmesan, but did it all at the beginning this time. And it actually wasn't burnt or anything; it tasted really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful. I have now pinned it via pinterest :-) You may get more traffic :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy!! That's a whole other world I need to check out for this!!

      Delete
  4. Where can I find "Butt Rub" or the recipe for it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, my friends Marion and John-Paul suggested it to me a couple of years ago, and I first picked it up at a spice store in St. Augustine. I've since found it at Mr. Fireplace on US 192 in Melbourne. It comes in a small size, but we buy the large size!

      Delete